In this tutorial, we will be installing VirtualBox on a Mac. Virtualbox is a virtualization platform used to extend the usability of your current computer also known as your host computer. It allows you to install multiple operating systems on your host computer and run them simultaneously providing that your host computer can support running multiple operating systems at the same time. VirtualBox is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2. If you want to find out more specific details about VirtualBox, I will be covering virtualization in another post somewhere down the road. Or, you can head over to their website and read their about page (http://www.virtualbox.org/about).
Why Would You Want To Install VirtualBox?
During our trials and testings, we will be installing all kinds of softwares and operating systems. Virtualizing your test environment protects your host environment and saves you time from having to reinstall or re-configure your host and/or your client operating system all over again after each test.
Virtualizing a client operating system also allows you to run multiple systems simultaneously. This allows you to have a victim computer and an attacker computer without having to have two physical computers. If you have a Mac as your host computer, you can run Windows and/or Linux as the client system at the same time or any of the different combinations. Virtualizing is a cost effective way of running a virtual lab. The nice part of it too is once you’re done, you can delete that VirtualBox or make a clone of it for later use.
Objectives Of This Tutorial
The objective of this tutorial is to install VirtualBox and the VirtualBox Extension Pack, which provides support for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices, VirtualBox RDP and PXE boot for Intel cards.
- Navigate to http://www.virtualbox.org with your favorite browser.
- Click on the Download (1) link or the [Download VirtualBox 5.1] (2) button to download VirtualBox.
- Click on the AMD64 (1) link for VirtualBox 5.1.6 for OS X hosts and All Supported Platforms link for VirtualBox 5.1.6 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack and save them where ever you like. You will need this after you install your client operating system.
- Begin installing VirtualBox by double-clicking on the Double-click the VirtualBox-5.1.6-110634-OSX.dmg file.
- A new window will pop up. Double-click on the pkg file.
- Click on Continue
- Click on the install button.
- You will be asked to authenticate. Enter our login information and then click on the Install Software.
- The installation will begin.
- The installation was successful. Click on the close button to close the window.
- You will find your VirtualBox app in the Applications folder. Double-click on the VirtualBox app to launch the application.
- Congratulations! VirtualBox was successfully installed.
VirtualBox – http://www.virtualbox.org